Monday, July 21, 2014

A Conversation With Josh About Circumcision

I'm going to share a conversation I had with Josh (9y) last week. It involves circumcision. I am not, repeat NOT, trying to start a debate. I am simply sharing a conversation. I feel like some people might find it insightful. I know some people have guilt or regret over decisions they made regarding their sons. I was one of those people, but I'm moving forward and approaching the subject with my boys with open, honest conversation.

Please be respectful in any comments you choose to leave.

Backstory- Josh is circumcised. We were babysitting a little boy and Josh was watching me change his diaper. The little boy is intact.

Josh- Mom, why is his penis all squished at the end?

Me- That's his foreskin. Remember a while ago I talked to you about how you were circumcised as an infant? He wasn't. That is what an intact penis looks like. Your foreskin was cut off, that's why your penis looks differently.

Josh- Will it grow back?

Me- No.

Josh- Can they put it back on?

Me- Well, no, they can't put your skin back on you. But I have heard of a procedure in which men can restore their foreskin.

Josh- Would it hurt?

Me- I imagine so. Are you saying you want to look into it?

Josh- I think I might.

Me- I can certainly help you research that.

No comments:

Post a Comment