Monday, February 3, 2014

Thanks to The Libertarian Homeschooler

A little over two years ago Josh (9y) was having trouble at school. He was in first grade at our local public school. I had no idea what I was going to do, but I knew I had to do something. I could not handle putting my son, our family, through the same stresses any longer. The thought of enduring 11 more years of it made my stomach turn and my head spin.

At the time I was one of those people who thought homeschoolers were weird. I thought homeschooling was this highly organized strategy with curricula, books, schedules, tests, calendars, planned trips, etc. I did not think it would be for us. At all.

I lost sleep fretting over the situation. During one such night of restlessness, I pulled out my phone, got on facebook, and searched for homeschooling groups/pages. The first one I looked at was The Libertarian Homeschooler. I sat in the dark under my covers reading her page for hours. She was the reassurance I needed that homeschooling was not the meticulously planned, socially awkward image I held in my mind.

I've followed her page since. She has been a mentor and friend in our home education journey and the creation of this page. Her posts are always thought provoking. She's funny. She loves chocolate, so you know she's trustworthy. She's real, accessible, and respectful. I love her for all the time and effort she has put into her publications. And now she's starting a blog. I can't wait to see what is to come.

Thank you TLH! Your work has made a positive change in the world, and a world of change for our family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment