Thursday, November 14, 2013

Positive Parenting Peer Pressure

I totally experienced this a couple days ago. We were out at a museum night with some friends. The boys were playing around the lobby while we all got coats on to leave when, WHAM! Josh (9y) knocked Bug (2y) over and Bug hit his head on the stone floor. Hard.

Of course my first inclination was to pick Bug up and make sure he was alright, but sadly my very close second inclination was to berate Josh for knocking his brother down. A few distasteful comments passed my lips, but for the most part I kept my teeth clamped shut. I only had such restraint because our friends were there witnessing my reaction. I kept thinking, "They know me. They know all the preaching I do about parenting. I cannot lose it in front of them. Losing it right now is NOT the type of parenting I'm going for."

Why am I sharing this? To show we're all works in progress. Maybe to encourage everyone to find some peaceful parenting buddies to help you keep calm in tough moments. Mostly to thank my friend for something she probably doesn't even realize she did for me and Josh. Thanks, you twirling hippie. You know who you are. 

No comments:

Post a Comment