Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Here's Your Sign...



Please forgive me, I am about to go on a rant.

I understand that peaceful parenting is not for everyone, really I do. But in the last few days I have seen too many examples of people publicly humiliating their kids not to say something.

One example- Josh's friend was playing over. Apparently his mom had expected him home, so she came by to pick him up. I opened the door, let her in, and as soo...n as her son emerges from the hallway, she starts yelling at and scolding him. Right in front of me and Josh. I understand his mom was upset, but I don't understand why all that couldn't have waited until they were back home and able to talk privately. I'm sure she would not appreciate her son yelling at her anywhere, especially not in a public setting.

I won't go on about the new trend of parents forcing their children to hold humiliating signs in public, or posting something to the internet, as I could go on for pages about how ineffective that is, but I see them too often. Every time I am so saddened not only by the pictures, but also by the hundreds of comments from people encouraging more parents to act like that or worse.

What we all need to realize and remember and remind ourselves regularly, is that children are mirrors of ourselves. If we want them to treat us respectfully, well dammit we need to be respectable people. We need to model the behavior we want them to reflect. If they're being dishonest, disrespectful, rude, and inconsiderate then we need to take a good look in the mirror and see where they're learning it from.

No comments:

Post a Comment